The qualified candidate will provide network configuration, administration, and support services to the Department of State’s (DOS) Refugee Processing Center (RPC) as part of the Systems Administration / Infrastructure Support team. The RPC operates an intranet, an extranet, the Worldwide Refugee Admissions Processing System (WRAPS), and other information services in support of the US Refugees Admission Program (USRAP). As part of the Production Support Team the Network Engineer provides for the smooth daily operation of the Local Area Network (LAN) and the Wide Area Network (WAN) systems, tracking, analyzing, and resolving any problems encountered. The Network Engineer administers user accounts and passwords. The core LAN environment includes domain controllers, Active Directory, Exchange, SQL Server database servers, File/Print servers, Storage Area Network (SAN) devices, and other specialized servers providing specific services to the enterprise. The Network Engineer also supports routine enhancements and upgrades of the program’s IT, such as replacing / upgrading EOL core server products when they reach End-Of-Life (EOL), improving communications performance and/or reliability, finding ways to reduce O&M costs and provide increased functionality and efficiency.
1. Bachelor’s degree preferred; 6 years’ experience
1. Assess and evaluate current networking infrastructure; design, document, test and implement network services and devices.
2. Develop and maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs).
3. Support proactive capacity planning modeling to support business decisions.
4. Detect, identify and perform problem isolation and resolution throughout the network architecture.
5. Utilize monitoring, mapping and alerting software to perform network management by proactively collecting data and conducting real-time analysis of the performance of the network.
6. Conduct research, evaluate and recommends cost effective networked solutions, and new technologies to support the technology strategies of the core business.
7. Develop and execute contingency plans for network software and hardware failures including isolated and major outages. Provide knowledgeable consulting, technical guidance and leadership to technical review boards; configuration control boards; developers, engineers and senior managers.
8. Provide storage area network (SAN) engineering and administration.
9. Replace failed components and updates hardware and software, as needed. Install, configure, maintain, and operate servers. Update hardware, operating systems, and software (as needed) to provide needed functionality and security.
10. Monitor systems and provides information and statistics relevant to system capacity limits on data storage, system utilization, etc. to the project manager with enough lead-time to avoid system crashes and data loss.
11. Oversee the configuration, monitoring, and optimization of network devices such as routers and switches. Serve as Team Lead for the administration and maintenance of customers WAN as directed by Managers.
12. Configure and manage network equipment including Cisco routers; switches; VPN; Enterasys switches, TCP/IP, WAN/MAN/LAN technologies; and monitoring tools such as SolarWinds and F5 BigFix IP load balancers.
13. Support network upgrade projects or initiatives, through the lifecycle, including design, test and deployment.
EXPERIENCE SUPPORTING THE FOLLOWING TECHNOLOGIES IS REQUIRED
1. Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 workstations
2. Active Directory
3. Cisco routers and switches
EXPERIENCE SUPPORTING THE FOLLOWING TECHNOLOGIES IS PREFERRED
1. Microsoft SQL Server 2008
2. Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS)